1. In 1937, the infamous "Gas House Gang" St. Louis Cardinals defeated the Indianapolis Indians 4-1 in an exhibition game at Perry Stadium in Indianapolis. This Cardinals team would go on to win the World Series later that year.
2. In 1959, the Indiana State Museum opened its doors to the public in Indianapolis. Today, the museum boasts a collection of over half a million artifacts representing Indiana's natural and cultural history.
3. Legendary basketball coach Bobby Knight was born on April 23, 1940, in Massillon, Ohio. Knight went on to coach the Indiana Hoosiers for 29 seasons, winning three national championships and establishing himself as one of the most successful coaches in college basketball history.
4. On April 23, 2016, the iconic Indianapolis 500 race saw its largest-ever field of 33 drivers take the track at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The race was won by Alexander Rossi, who became the first rookie driver to win the Indy 500 since 2001.
5. The town of Santa Claus, Indiana, was incorporated on April 23, 1906. Today, the small town near the southern Indiana border boasts a number of themed attractions, including a Christmas-themed amusement park and a post office that receives and processes letters to Santa Claus from children around the world.
- Tags: IN