1. On August 16, 1777, the first European settlement was established in what is now California by Gaspar de Portolá near San Diego.
2. On this day in 1850, California was admitted as the 31st state of the United States of America. This was a major event in California history and one that is still celebrated today.
3. In 1906, on August 16th, the first-ever meeting of the California State Automobile Association was held. This organization played a crucial role in advocating for better roads and infrastructure in California for decades to come.
4. On August 16, 1956, actress and model Madonna was born in Bay City, Michigan. Although not a Californian by birth, Madonna has had a tremendous impact on the culture and entertainment scene in the state, particularly in Los Angeles.
5. On this day in 1977, the infamous Son of Sam serial killer, David Berkowitz, was arrested in Yonkers, NY. While this may not seem like a particularly Californian event, Berkowitz did briefly flee to California during his spree of murders and attempted murders.
- Tags: CA