1. In 1962, actress Marilyn Monroe was found dead in her Brentwood home in Los Angeles. Her death has remained a subject of controversy and speculation ever since.
2. In 1981, the Disneyland Monorail System was extended to make its way into the newly-constructed Epcot theme park at Walt Disney World in Florida. This marked the first time that the Disneyland ride had been duplicated.
3. In 2012, a historic ruling was made by the California State Supreme Court that declared it unconstitutional to impose a life sentence without parole on a juvenile who commits a non-homicide crime.
4. On August 5, 1850, California became the 31st state to be admitted to the United States. This followed the discovery of gold in the region, which led to a massive influx of settlers and eventually the formation of the state.
5. In 1935, the famous jazz pianist and singer Nat King Cole was married in Holy Trinity Church in Los Angeles. The wedding was attended by many prominent figures in the entertainment world, including Bill "Bojangles" Robinson and Fats Waller.
- Tags: CA