1. In 1917, the Hoover Dam project began construction. The dam was built to tame the flooding of the Colorado River and to provide hydroelectric power to nearby states.
2. In 1970, the Arizona Cardinals played their first pre-season game in Phoenix against the San Diego Chargers. The game ended in a tie at 17-17.
3. On August 17, 1984, Governor Bruce Babbitt signed a bill that established the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records Division. This division is responsible for ensuring access to government information for the citizens of Arizona.
4. In 1999, the Phoenix Suns drafted future NBA All-Star Shawn Marion with the ninth overall pick in the NBA draft. During his time with the Suns, he became one of the team's most beloved players.
5. On August 17, 2016, Arizona Senator John McCain won his sixth term in the United States Senate. McCain was a decorated war veteran and a leading voice in American politics until his death in 2018.
- Tags: AZ