1. In 1855, the first post office in Arizona was established in Tubac with James Buchanan as the postmaster.
2. In 1928, Arizona native and aviation pioneer John Livingston became the first person to fly an airplane over the Grand Canyon.
3. On August 27, 1949, the University of Arizona football team played its first game under head coach Warren Woodson, defeating Hardin-Simmons University 34-7.
4. In 1987, the Painted Desert Inn, a historic landmark on the Navajo Nation, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
5. On August 27, 1993, the first section of the Arizona Canal Trail was officially opened, providing a 10-mile multi-use trail for pedestrians, cyclists, and equestrians.
- Tags: AZ