1. In 1890, the first train arrived in the newly established city of Boca Raton, setting the stage for the town's future growth as a resort and retirement destination.
2. In 1963, the iconic Surrealist artist Salvador Dali opened the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, showcasing his works and influencing the area's cultural landscape in a significant way.
3. On December 29, 1982, Miami Dolphins quarterback David Woodley led his team to a 27-14 victory over the New England Patriots in the first round of the NFL playoffs.
4. In 2000, the Florida Marlins officially changed their name to the Miami Marlins in anticipation of the opening of their new ballpark in the city.
5. On December 29, 2010, former Florida Governor Charlie Crist announced that he would be running for the U.S. Senate as an independent, leading to a heated and closely watched race with Republican Marco Rubio and Democrat Kendrick Meek in the 2010 election.
- Tags: FL