1. In 1816, Indiana became the 19th state in the United States. The state was originally formed as a territory in 1800 and was named for the Native American tribes that lived in the region.
2. On January 12, 1820, the Indiana State Seminary was established in Bloomington, Indiana. The school later became Indiana University, which is now one of the largest and most respected universities in the state.
3. In 1861, the Battle of McLean's Ford took place in Virginia during the Civil War. Many Hoosier soldiers fought in this battle, which was part of the larger First Battle of Bull Run.
4. On January 12, 1882, the Indiana State Capitol building in Indianapolis was destroyed by fire. The structure, which had been built in the late 1800s, was completely destroyed, and many state records and documents were lost.
5. In 1948, the first broadcast of the Indiana High School Basketball Tournament took place on the radio. Basketball is a hugely popular sport in Indiana, and the annual tournament draws thousands of fans from around the state.
- Tags: IN