1. On January 27, 1924, Oklahoma City's municipal airport opened for business. The airport was later renamed Will Rogers World Airport in honor of the famous Oklahoma-born humorist and actor.
2. In 1933, a severe winter storm struck Oklahoma, causing widespread power outages and damage to crops and livestock. The storm lasted for several days and is known as the "Big Blow of '33."
3. On January 27, 1947, the Oklahoma City Blazers hockey team played their first game at the Fairgrounds Coliseum. The team was a part of the USHL and later became a part of the CHL.
4. In 1964, Oklahoma became the first state to adopt a comprehensive public school safety program. The program included safety inspections, regular drills, and a state-funded safety consultant for each school.
5. January 27, 1991, marked the start of Operation Desert Storm, a military operation led by the United States and its allies to liberate Kuwait from Iraqi occupation. Many Oklahoma soldiers served in the operation, which ended in victory for the coalition forces.
5 Fun Facts About January 27 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →