1. In 1861, Georgia voted to secede from the Union, becoming one of the original seven states to form the Confederacy.
2. On January 29, 1923, the Coca-Cola Company celebrated its 50th anniversary with a gala event in Atlanta, Georgia.
3. In 1977, legendary Atlanta Braves baseball player Hank Aaron was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, becoming the first Georgia-born player to receive the honor.
4. The Georgia Institute of Technology was founded on January 29, 1885, as the Georgia School of Technology, with the goal of providing education in engineering and technology.
5. On January 29, 1867, the state of Georgia ratified the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which granted citizenship to all people born or naturalized in the United States, including former slaves.
- Tags: GA