1. On January 30, 1733, the ship Anne arrived in Savannah, Georgia, carrying James Oglethorpe and the first group of colonists for the newly-founded colony.
2. On January 30, 1862, Union forces captured Fort Pulaski near Savannah during the Civil War, marking a significant victory for the Union in Georgia.
3. On January 30, 1933, Georgia ratified the 21st Amendment to the United States Constitution, which repealed Prohibition and allowed for the legal sale and consumption of alcohol.
4. On January 30, 1948, civil rights leader and Atlanta native Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his first speech at Ebenezer Baptist Church, where his father was the pastor.
5. On January 30, 1968, the first black students were peacefully integrated into Savannah State College (now Savannah State University), marking a significant step forward for desegregation in Georgia's higher education system.
- Tags: GA