1. In 1955, Disneyland opened in California, but Walt Disney originally planned to build the park in St. Louis, Missouri or in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.
2. On July 17, 1967, a deadly tornado ripped through the city of Sanford, Florida, killing 12 people and injuring over 200 others.
3. In 1969, the Kennedy Space Center in Florida was the site of the launch of the Apollo 11 mission, which sent Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins to the moon.
4. On July 17, 1981, the first official game of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was held in Tampa, Florida, after the team was awarded a franchise from the National Football League.
5. In 1997, serial killer Andrew Cunanan committed suicide in a Miami Beach houseboat, bringing an end to a months-long manhunt that began when he killed fashion designer Gianni Versace on July 15.
- Tags: FL