1) In 1847, Florida became the first state in the United States to establish a quarantine station in Key West. This move helped prevent the spread of yellow fever and other diseases.
2) On July 26, 1952, the Rollins College radio station, WPRK, began broadcasting in Winter Park. The station is still on the air today and is run entirely by students.
3) In 1961, astronaut Virgil "Gus" Grissom visited his alma mater, the University of Florida, and gave a speech about his experiences with NASA. Grissom later died during a training mission for a space mission.
4) The Sunshine Skyway Bridge, which spans Tampa Bay and connects St. Petersburg to Terra Ceia, was officially opened on July 26, 1987. The bridge is 5.5 miles long and is a popular spot for fishing and sightseeing.
5) On July 26, 2005, Hurricane Emily made landfall near Cape Canaveral, causing widespread damage and flooding. The storm had winds of up to 125 mph and caused millions of dollars in damages across the state.
- Tags: FL