1. On July 28, 1838, the first steamboat arrived in Burlington, Iowa, signaling the beginning of a new era of transportation for the state.
2. July 28, 1862, marked the start of the Dakota War of 1862, which resulted in the forced removal of Native Americans from Minnesota and surrounding areas.
3. On July 28, 1870, the first female attorney in Iowa, Arabella A. Mansfield, was admitted to the Iowa bar.
4. In 1917, on July 28th, Emmett Otter, one of the first air mail pilots, made his first flight from Iowa City to Chicago, setting a precedent for future aviation in Iowa.
5. On July 28, 1974, the National Hobo Convention was held in Britt, Iowa, drawing in hobos from all over the country to celebrate their unique lifestyle and culture.
- Tags: IA