1. The State of Iowa was admitted to the Union on July 29, 1846, becoming the 29th state to join the United States.
2. On July 29, 1974, former President Richard Nixon made a campaign stop in Sioux City, Iowa, during his post-Watergate public appearances.
3. In 1899, the first cheese factory in the United States was founded in the town of Cresco, Iowa, on July 29.
4. Baseball legend Bob Feller was born on July 29, 1918, in Van Meter, Iowa. Feller went on to become one of the greatest pitchers in the history of the game, pitching for the Cleveland Indians for 18 seasons.
5. On July 29, 1862, Confederate forces under General Sterling Price attacked the town of Kirksville, Missouri, which was occupied by Union forces. The battle was a part of the larger Civil War conflict in Missouri and eastern Kansas.
- Tags: IA