1. The Georgia Association of Educators was founded on June 12, 1975. This association is dedicated to advancing the cause of public education in Georgia.
2. On June 12, 1948, the Atlanta Crackers played their last game at the old Ponce de Leon Park. The Crackers were a minor league baseball team that played in Atlanta for over 60 years.
3. On June 12, 2020, a monument honoring Confederate soldiers was removed from Decatur Square. This was one of several such monuments that were removed from public spaces in Georgia during the summer of 2020.
4. On June 12, 1962, James Meredith became the first black student to enroll at the University of Mississippi. While this event took place in Mississippi, it had a significant impact on civil rights in the South, including Georgia.
5. On June 12, 1776, Georgia's representatives signed the Declaration of Independence. While this event is often overshadowed by the signing in Philadelphia a few weeks later, it is still an important part of Georgia's history.
- Tags: GA