1. In 1961 on this day, Atlanta mayor Ivan Allen Jr. rejected a request to desegregate city golf courses, sparking criticism from civil rights activists.
2. On June 5, 1836, the Georgia State Capitol building was destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt and is now a National Historic Landmark.
3. In 1956, Ray Charles recorded his first hit song, "I Got A Woman," in Atlanta, Georgia.
4. Jimmy Carter, the 39th President of the United States, was born in Plains, Georgia on June 5, 1924.
5. In 1977, the brutal murder of Athens, Georgia resident Brenda Sue Schaeffer occurred on this day. The case remains unsolved to this day.
- Tags: GA