1. The first permanent Masonic Lodge in America, St. John's Lodge No. 2, was founded in Wilmington, Delaware on March 28, 1765.
2. On March 28, 1968, Delaware became the first state in the nation to enact a penal code that abolished the death penalty.
3. The University of Delaware, located in Newark, was founded on March 28, 1743 as a small private academy. It has since grown into a nationally recognized research university.
4. On March 28, 1865, Delaware ratified the 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution, which abolished slavery throughout the nation.
5. Delaware State University, a historically black university located in Dover, was founded on March 28, 1891 as the State College for Colored Students. It was the second state-supported institution of higher education for African Americans in the nation.
- Tags: DE