1. On May 27, 1846, the first train arrived in Providence, Rhode Island. The arrival of the train revolutionized transportation in the state and opened up new opportunities for commerce and industry.
2. The Rhode Island State House was dedicated on May 27, 1904. The building, which houses the state's legislative and executive branches, is an iconic landmark in Providence and one of the largest self-supported marble domes in the world.
3. On May 27, 1927, Charles Lindbergh made his triumphant return to Rhode Island after completing the first solo non-stop flight across the Atlantic. Lindbergh was greeted by a huge crowd of admirers and went on to become a national hero.
4. May 27, 1954, is the date of the infamous Hurricane Carol, which devastated the Rhode Island coast with winds of up to 125 miles per hour. The storm caused extensive damage and claimed 65 lives throughout the state.
5. On May 27, 1991, the Rhode Island Lottery made history by becoming the first state in the nation to offer video lottery terminals, or VLTs. The move was controversial at the time, but VLTs have since become a popular way for states to generate revenue for public education and other programs.
5 Fun Facts About May 27 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →