1. The opening ceremony of the 1987 Pan American Games was held on May 28th in Jacksonville, Florida. Over 4,000 athletes from 38 countries participated in the event, which featured 33 sports.
2. On May 28, 1934, a powerful Category 4 hurricane made landfall near Cedar Key, Florida. The storm caused extensive damage and claimed at least 50 lives. It remains one of the deadliest and costliest hurricanes in Florida history.
3. The Miami Heat won their first NBA championship on May 28, 2006, defeating the Dallas Mavericks in six games. Dwyane Wade was named Finals MVP after averaging 34.7 points per game in the series.
4. NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, was officially named on May 28, 1963. The center has been instrumental in the United States' space program and has hosted numerous historic launches, including the Apollo moon missions.
5. On May 28, 1971, the Walt Disney World Resort officially opened in Orlando, Florida. The massive theme park complex has since become one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, attracting millions of visitors each year.
- Tags: FL