1. On May 8, 1861, South Carolina seceded from the United States, becoming the first state to do so. This event would eventually lead to the start of the Civil War.
2. On May 8, 1945, the Allies celebrated Victory in Europe (VE) Day, marking the end of World War II in Europe. South Carolinians joined the rest of the nation in celebrating the Allied victory.
3. On May 8, 1959, the South Carolina State House was declared a National Historic Landmark. The State House, located in downtown Columbia, remains one of the state's most recognizable symbols.
4. On May 8, 1971, the University of South Carolina football team won its first and only ACC championship. Led by head coach Paul Dietzel, the Gamecocks defeated Duke 6-0 to claim the title.
5. On May 8, 2018, the South Carolina legislature passed a new law allowing the cultivation and sale of industrial hemp. The law paved the way for farmers to begin growing the crop, which has a variety of industrial uses.
5 Fun Facts About May 8 In South Carolina History
---Learn Every Day: SC Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history sc To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: SC
← Older Post Newer Post →