1. On November 16, 1907, the state of Oklahoma was officially admitted to the Union as the 46th state in the United States. It was the result of a merger between the Oklahoma Territory and the Indian Territory, and Oklahoma became the only state with a majority Native American population.
2. In 1936, the Oklahoma Capitol building was completed after nearly eight years of construction. The building stands at over 400 feet tall and has 452 rooms, making it one of the largest state capitol buildings in the country.
3. On November 16, 1982, the Sooner State Games were established in Oklahoma City, an annual multi-sport event for athletes of all ages and skill levels from across Oklahoma.
4. In 2011, the Oklahoma City Thunder basketball team won their 10th consecutive game on November 16, setting a franchise record for consecutive victories.
5. In 2020, Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt signed an executive order establishing the Governor's Office of Education Innovation, which is tasked with improving education outcomes for Oklahoma students by promoting innovation and collaboration across schools and districts in the state.
5 Fun Facts About November 16 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →