1. In 1665, Connecticut’s first colonial charter was granted by King Charles II of England on November 3, which established the colony’s borders and government structure.
2. On November 3, 1817, the Hartford Convention began, which was a secret meeting of New England Federalists who were opposed to the War of 1812 and discussed the possibility of seceding from the United States.
3. In 1879, the first Women’s Suffrage Association in Connecticut was formed in New Haven on November 3.
4. On November 3, 1936, the U.S. defense contractor Pratt & Whitney unveiled its first operational aircraft engine, the R-1690 Hornet, which would go on to power many military planes during World War II.
5. The Hartford Whalers hockey team played their first game in Connecticut on November 3, 1979, against the Minnesota North Stars at the Hartford Civic Center. The Whalers would go on to become a beloved team in Connecticut until they relocated to North Carolina in 1997.
- Tags: CT