1) In 1774, the first Continental Congress recommended that all colonies should observe October 25th as a day of fasting and prayer in support of the American Revolution.
2) In 1854, the Charter Oak, a legendary symbol of Connecticut’s democratic roots, was damaged by a severe storm.
3) In 1875, the Hartford Fire Insurance Company provided fire insurance for the Chicago Theatre, which was destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire the following year.
4) In 1905, Connecticut native and inventor Willis Carrier developed the first practical air conditioning system.
5) In 1963, President John F. Kennedy visited the city of Bridgeport to support the reelection campaign of Governor John Dempsey.
- Tags: CT