1. On October 11, 1810, the Indiana Territory was established, setting the stage for the eventual statehood of Indiana in 1816.
2. The first locomotive to run on rails in Indiana, the Lafayette, arrived in Indianapolis on October 11, 1847, marking a major milestone in the state's transportation history.
3. On October 11, 1852, a catastrophic fire destroyed much of the business district in Evansville, Indiana, causing millions of dollars in damage and leaving many families homeless.
4. The Indiana State Fairgrounds Coliseum, which has hosted a wide variety of events over the years including concerts, circuses, and sports contests, opened on October 11, 1939.
5. On October 11, 1975, Indiana University's football team achieved a memorable upset victory over Ohio State, then the top-ranked team in the country, by a score of 14-7 in front of a raucous home crowd in Bloomington.
- Tags: IN