1. In 1492, Christopher Columbus landed in the Americas. While he didn't make landfall in Rhode Island, the day is still celebrated as Columbus Day throughout the United States.
2. On October 12, 1775, the first naval battle of the American Revolution was fought off the coast of Rhode Island. The British ship HMS Margaretta was captured by American forces, setting the stage for further naval engagements throughout the war.
3. Rhode Island became the final state to ratify the U.S. Constitution on May 29, 1790. However, on October 12, 1854, a convention was held in Providence to discuss granting the right to vote to African American men. While the proposal was ultimately defeated, it reflected Rhode Island's commitment to progressive values.
4. In 1887, the International Tennis Hall of Fame was founded in Newport, Rhode Island, making it the oldest tennis museum in the world. The Hall of Fame hosts an annual tournament and inducts new members each year.
5. On October 12, 1999, the Red Sox completed a thrilling comeback against the Cleveland Indians in the American League Championship Series, winning the game 12-8 after being down 5-2 in the eighth inning. The Red Sox would go on to play in their first World Series since 1986, but they would lose to the New York Yankees in five games.
5 Fun Facts About October 12 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →