1. In 1782, Spanish explorer Pedro Fages established the first European settlement in the Santa Clara Valley, now known as San Jose. It was named El Pueblo de San José de Guadalupe.
2. On September 13, 1858, the first oil well in California was drilled by the California State Mining Bureau in the Pico Canyon oil field near Santa Clarita.
3. In 1948, the Balboa Island Ferry began service in Newport Beach, allowing for easy access to Balboa Island and its famous fun zone.
4. On September 13, 1965, the Watts Riots came to an end after six days of violent clashes between African American residents and police in the Watts neighborhood of Los Angeles.
5. The California State Fair, a beloved annual event showcasing the state's agriculture, industry, and commerce, opened its gates for the first time on September 13, 1854 in San Francisco. It was later moved to Sacramento in 1968.
- Tags: CA