1. California became a state on September 9, 1850.
2. The deadliest natural disaster in California's history, the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, occurred on April 18, but its magnitude was revised to 7.9 on September 9.
3. In 1926, the historic Hollywood sign in Los Angeles was first erected on September 9. Originally reading "Hollywoodland," it was meant to advertise a new housing development.
4. On September 9, 1965, the Watts riots in Los Angeles came to an end after six days of violence. The riots resulted in 34 deaths and caused over $40 million in property damage.
5. California Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill on September 9, 2018, that aimed to phase out the use of fossil fuels for electricity by 2045. The state became the largest economy in the world to commit to such a goal.
- Tags: CA