1. In 1777, the Continental Army, led by General George Washington, marched through Delaware on their way to confront the British in Pennsylvania during the Revolutionary War.
2. In 1847, the Delaware Railroad was completed, connecting Wilmington and Baltimore for the first time and allowing for easier transportation of goods and people between the two cities.
3. On September 13, 1927, the DuPont Company unveiled a new synthetic fiber called "nylon" that would revolutionize the textile industry and become a household name.
4. The University of Delaware was founded on September 13, 1743, as a small private school in Newark. Today, it is the largest university in the state and a major center for research and education.
5. In 1989, a massive oil spill occurred off the coast of Delaware when the tanker MV World Prodigy ran aground in the Delaware Bay. The spill threatened the state's fishing industry and wildlife habitats, and it took months of cleanup efforts to contain the damage.
- Tags: DE