September 20 may not seem like a significant date in Indiana history, but it has seen its fair share of notable events. Here are five interesting facts about September 20 in Indiana history:
1. In 1818, the first Constitution of Indiana was adopted on September 20th. This document laid the foundation for Indiana as a state and included provisions such as the creation of a governor and a state legislature.
2. On September 20, 1862, the Battle of Perryville took place during the American Civil War. It was one of the bloodiest battles of the war in terms of casualties and saw Confederate forces under General Braxton Bragg clash with Union troops led by General Don Carlos Buell.
3. Movie fans might be interested to know that actor Gary Cooper was born on September 20, 1901, in Helena, Montana. Cooper went on to become a Hollywood legend, starring in classic films such as "High Noon" and "Sergeant York."
4. The Indiana Roof Ballroom, located in downtown Indianapolis, officially opened on September 20, 1927. The ballroom played host to numerous big bands during the swing era and remains a popular venue for weddings and events today.
5. Finally, September 20, 1979, saw the opening of the first Bass Pro Shops location in Springfield, Missouri. The chain's founder, Johnny Morris, got his start selling fishing lures in his father-in-law's liquor store in Indiana. Today, Bass Pro Shops is a major retailer of outdoor gear and has locations across the United States and Canada.
- Tags: IN