1) In 1889, on September 22, Oklahoma opened its land for settlement and the "Oklahoma Land Rush" began. Thousands of people rushed to stake their claim on a piece of land in Oklahoma, which previously belonged to Native American tribes.
2) On September 22, 1906, the first state fair was held in Oklahoma City. The fair was held to showcase agricultural products and livestock and it quickly became a popular annual event.
3) On September 22, 1950, the first tornado warning was issued in Oklahoma. The warning came after a devastating tornado hit Woodward, Oklahoma, causing widespread destruction and claiming over 100 lives.
4) In 2007, on September 22, the Oklahoma State Cowboys football team defeated the Texas Tech Red Raiders 49-45 in a thrilling game that featured over 1,000 yards of total offense.
5) On September 22, 2017, the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City opened a new exhibit called "The Code of the West." The exhibit explores the unwritten rules by which cowboys conducted themselves in the American West.
5 Fun Facts About September 22 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →