1. In 1935, Oklahoma established the first state highway patrol in the United States. This institution was designed to help maintain public safety by enforcing traffic laws and responding to emergencies.
2. On September 23, 1950, the University of Oklahoma Sooners played their first football game at newly constructed Owen Field. The Sooners defeated the Boston College Eagles in a decisive victory, launching a successful season that culminated in the Orange Bowl.
3. In 1976, Oklahoma celebrated its centennial as a state. Festivities included parades, concerts, and other events throughout the month of September.
4. In 2003, country music star Toby Keith opened a new bar and grill in his hometown of Norman, Oklahoma. The establishment, named Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill, quickly became a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
5. On September 23, 2011, the Oklahoma City Thunder signed NBA superstar Kevin Durant to a contract extension. Durant would go on to lead the Thunder to several playoff appearances and become one of the most beloved players in team history.
5 Fun Facts About September 23 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →