1. In 1907, the first automobile race was held in Phoenix, Arizona. The race was a 2-mile oval track and attracted over 10,000 spectators.
2. On September 27, 1960, the United States government created the Nellis Air Force Bombing and Gunnery Range in Southern Nevada. This range is now used for countless military training exercises.
3. In 1975, Arizona State University received $58 million from the National Science Foundation, the largest research grant awarded to a single university at that time.
4. On this day in 2008, Grand Canyon National Park celebrated its 100th anniversary. The park is one of the seven natural wonders of the world and attracts millions of visitors each year.
5. In 2014, Arizona's first medical marijuana dispensary opened in Glendale. The dispensary was the first of its kind in the state and marked a significant milestone in the legalization of marijuana in Arizona.
- Tags: AZ