1. California became a state: On September 4, 1850, California officially became the 31st state of the United States.
2. The Great Fire of San Francisco: On September 4, 1906, a massive fire broke out in San Francisco, which destroyed over 500 blocks and left over 300,000 people homeless.
3. First edition of the Los Angeles Times: On September 4, 1881, the first edition of the Los Angeles Times was published. Today, it is the fourth-largest newspaper in the United States.
4. First phone book printed: On September 4, 1878, the first phone book in the world was printed in San Francisco. It contained just 50 names.
5. The Beverly Hillbillies premiered: On September 4, 1962, the first episode of The Beverly Hillbillies aired on television. The show, which was set in California, became a cultural phenomenon and ran for nine seasons.
- Tags: CA