1. In 1542, Spanish explorer Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo arrived at what is now the San Diego Bay, becoming the first European to set foot on California soil.
2. In 1847, General John C. Fremont's troops claimed control of Los Angeles during the Mexican-American War.
3. In 1869, the first transcontinental train arrived in San Francisco, connecting California to the rest of the country.
4. In 1926, Hollywood legend Elizabeth Taylor was born in London, England. She later moved to California and became a beloved actress and philanthropist.
5. In 1975, Governor Jerry Brown signed into law the California Coastal Act, which aimed to protect and preserve the state's coastal resources for future generations. This law led to the creation of the California Coastal Commission, which continues to oversee coastal development today.
- Tags: CA